Doing Hard Things



The sign on my classroom door reads, “We can do hard things.” Wednesday  I did all the hard things. It was a hard, hard day! 


I was awoken at 1:30am. Our sweet little girl wasn’t feeling well. I sat with her until she fell back asleep, and then I spent the rest of the night on her floor. I watched the rise-and-fall of her chest and jumped at each rustle of her rainbow sheets. I rested my hand against her forehead to monitor her temperature. I held her precious, little hand. 

Then, my alarm sounded. I got up and got ready to spend my day with other people’s children.  

Just before I left, H awoke and asked me, “Mama, can you please stay home with me?” I had to tell her no. I had lessons that couldn’t be executed by subs and wasn’t sure there were subs; there was an activity I promised I would help a college with; i scheduled a make-up work meeting with  student before school.  My heart broke. 

I promised H I’d check in often as I  tucked her back into bed. And then E started to rustle, and then he started to cry. I wanted to scoop him out of his crib, kiss his forehead, and play with his blocks and read his favorite  book. I had to go. I was going to be late. I looked to BRunn and my watch. I looked back at H laying in her bed. I walked out of our home loathing the ‘choice’ I had to make, loathing myself. 

I got to work, met with a student, counseled a few others, helped out my colleague, and facilitated some pretty great lessons. I had a really good teacher day. But it’s hard not to think about the cost.  It’s really hard to do “hard things.”






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone