The Perfect Pace

 There is an African proverb that goes this like: "If you want to go fast, go alone.  If you want to go far, go together."


This, my friends, is motherhood, at least my version of it.  Nothing happens quickly (or smoothly, it seems), but everything - from the smiles and belly giggles, the tears (the kids' and mine),  the missteps, and the lack of sleep (this one is mine alone) - is worth it.  



As a teacher I feel especially qualified to speak to this one: motherhood is the most thankless job but also the most important one I'll ever have the privilege of attempting to tackle with some semblance of grace and authority.  


One day, I'll be able to take things at my intended pace, but I know, already, that I'll desperately wish for the times when we didn't have enough time because everything took twice as long and ten times as much work.  So, I will pad our schedule with an extra 15 minutes (at least), bring several changes of clothes, and cherish how perfectly imperfect our pace of life is now; I'll enjoy every bit of 'go together' we have! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone