Redefining Homebody

Anyone who has ever shared a space with me knows that I love to dim lights, turn on my diffuser, grab the biggest, coziest blanket, and curl up with a good book, some good music, and an extra hot cup of tea. Anyone who has shared classroom space with me knows most of that list holds true. My brother used to tease me about this relentlessly: How could someone who talks so much demand so much quiet?  And BR has long claimed I want to live in a cave (I think he believes I'm a vampire).  I always thought, as much as I love -- no need -- to travel and adventure, home was a place I could never get enough of.

I'm comfortable saying that I'm a homebody, but the 'safer at home' order has also made me certain that I thrive when I am in the company of others (maybe it could be quiet company?!). 

A relaxed schedule (no commute and time to play with the tiny human before the work day begins) and a very relaxed dress code (shoes never required; yoga pants are now work pants) are great.  An educational world where I can't directly engage with each of my students each day is the pits! All of us, teachers and students alike, are making the best of this, and some people are thriving in the virtual learning world.  For me to thrive, I need to be connected, very connected; this means I've been posting discussions and tutorials, have been sending virtual hellos, and have been messaging each of my classes as much as humanly possible.  

I respect, greatly, the need to shelter in place and protect the health and well-being of our communities.  I refuse, however, to accept that I may not see my students again this school year.  I hold out hope that I'll be back in F003 with them, laughing and learning, and giving 'distance high fives' (my co-teacher thinks I'm a bit of a germaphobe, and he may be right) like the good ol' days.  Because without the company of my colleagues and my kiddos, I'm not really me! 




It has windows and it smells much nicer, but this classroom isn't quite right! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone