Lucky Number 13

Today marked the thirteenth time I started a new school year as Mrs. Runnells, the eagerly optimistic literature teacher.  And today marks the eighth time I have done so as a Waukesha West Wolverine. 

I cannot believe I have spent twice as long at West as I have at any of the schools I've have called home. Today, it really feels like home. I get to work with a diverse group of teachers and kiddos; I get to see some of my favorite young people during passing time, lunch, and prep, and, if I'm lucky, I get to lunch with my lunch crew at least a few times a week. 

This year is all about taking risks, about being vulnerable, and standing in my purpose.  I told each class today a little bit about my high school (and college) English experiences, why I hope theirs are different, and how I am committed to making them their best reading, writing, and thinking selves.  I also - remember what I said about vulnerability - told a few of them about the parent fail the other day that resulted in a fat lip for HQ.  I put a lot of pressure on myself, and there is far too much pressure on our young people today, so, for the next 176 school days, we're in this business of learning and growing together.



As my principal said, here is to "out-teaching [my] best teaching" and having an amazing 2019-2020 school year. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone