Remembering

June 23 will always be a difficult day. It wasn't supposed to have any great significance for the Unti family, but now it does. They say it’s a day that should get easier, but, even with all this time, it doesn’t. In fact, as a parent now, the pain runs deeper. I mourn for the ‘what could have - what should have - been’ moments, the memories, the chance to do my job - big sister - a little more; but now I also mourn for my parents in a way I only came to truly understand September 7, 2017.



June 23 will always be a powerful day. It is a reminder of what the Unti family does have, of the bond we grew through all our shared experiences, even our most difficult goodbyes. My parents always reminded Brian and me to value each other, and I know that Matthew, though not physically with us, cultivated that relationship, one of the most valued ones I have. I know that Brian and I would have fought relentlessly over who was Matthew’s favorite, and I know the boys would have fought about which was the favorite to my sweet girl, which is why I talk about both of her uncles as often as possible.

Matthew is known and loved, and I will speak his name! I have two brothers, two beautiful gifts from my parents, and today, I am thinking of and missing MDU more than words can share.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone