Closing Out Another Year

Most days I love my job.  Some days, like each day this past week, I cannot imagine my life without it! 

Often times, when I find myself upping the frequency of my weekly runs, it's because I am running from something.  It's my way of coping.  Today, after a six (or sevenths...or eighth...) day of pre-5am running, I realized I was running from the end.  The end of this *school year.

Now, don't get me wrong.  This work is raw, exhausting, and often very thankless, but it is relevant and so very inherent to who I am.  And I have found myself truly mourning the loss of this group of students. This year has been a rough one personally, but I have found myself  happily walking into West each day.  I feel better, brighter, and more purposeful in my students' presence.

Sure, I love books, and I do enjoy writing (case in point being this blog), but what I really, really love about being an English teacher is watching my students find their voices.  I love building a room where we can all grow together, where we enter as unique individuals but spend our time working as a collective. 

I have learned so much from all of my students over the years, but after a few chats this morning and after finding myself lingering around the grad practice table, I realized that this group of young people, in particular, have captured my heart.  I know I will walk into next school year a different and better educator thanks to all I have learned while attempting to assist them in their learning.





* So, today isn't technically the end of our year, but it is the last day for seniors, and I am not sure Monday's Finals Feedback day will draw a major crowd, though I did promise snacks and a celebration in my room! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone