Gratitude

 There are many service people in my family, all of whom I love dearly and I am grateful for. These individuals sacrificed their time, safety, and, sometimes, other ambitions in order to serve our country. I know the purpose of this weekend is to honor those service members who never were able to return to their lives and families, who made the ultimate sacrifice. I, however, found myself thinking of one particular serviceman as I was out for a run this holiday weekend, my uncle Paul, and I wanted to take some time to share just how much he means to me.


Just the other day, I was asked why I teach, and I said that I love stories. Literature is perhaps the most readily accessible way to learn about ourselves and to explore the world.  As I thought more about it, I realized that my uncle, a true storyteller, likely had a hand in creating that spark in me. When my brother and I were very young, my uncle lived with us. Stories from him and about our time together (an unconventional yet perfectly wonderful family unit: Paul is my dad’s cousin, and he moved in post high school graduation; thus he was part parent, part older brother, part partner-in-crime) are among my favorite. Uncle Paul can have you hanging on every word, anxious for an outcome, or in stitches, and everything in between.  Some of my favorites involve his travels around the world as a member of the United States Army.


And each time my sweet HQ follows up her daily roll call with “Pauuu hat at house?” my heart skips a beat. She lives his visits, and she will  know Uncle Paul and his immense heart - just as I did at her age and still do.


So, today I express my gratitude for Paul Unti,  a truly amazing man!


Comments

  1. Wow! Such kind and gracious words from an amazing woman and what type of person you have grown into! I wish that I could write or speak as well as you.

    I think I just had an "out of body" experience reading your letter. My eyes are filled with tears as I am writing this response. Love and ultimate admiration to the little girl I knew growing up!

    Such an inspiration to me watching you becoming the mom, with no doubt, that we all hoped you would be. It was very evident that you had the support and love from your family at a very young age till now and I am blessed to be part of that!

    So, Amy, today I am blessed and honored that you have put me in that category of "Gratitude". You made my day!

    Keep mentoring and teaching literature to those impressionable minds. Because one day they will write and amazing letter of gratitude to "The little girl I knew growing up"...


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone