We're Back: Book Club #2

Yesterday was the second installment of 'Reading Between the Wines,' the fantastically awesome West Book Club I am a part of. We read the second (but maybe not last?!) book in the Beartown series, Us Against You.

As I mentioned in my previous Book Club post, I am hooked on Fredrik Backman; I am only a book or two short of being able to declare that I have read - and enjoyed - all of his published work.

Much of our conversation centered on the various dichotomies that exist in Beartown and neighboring Hed: innocence and maturity beyond one's age, hope and despair, femininity and masculinity, truth and lies, plausibility and implausibility.  In short, Backman did it again - he gave us a true-to-life account.  We are all multifaceted.  We all have made choices we regret and have faced challenges we hope do not limit or fully define us.  Life can be messy and hard, but we keep going; we find our community, our team; we work for and because of them.


Our time in Beartown, we all agreed, was impactful, but we're excited to move onto a new place...much like we're all ready to move into summer!  Ten more school days and we'll all enjoy the extra time to read between the wines :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone