Book Club

I have to admit - somewhat embarrassedly - that I only recently joined my first ever book club.  I love reading, and I love talking (oh, and I am an English teacher), so a book club seems like a no-brainer, but the stars never aligned/ I kept busy with gym friends and our climbing family — and only loosely discussed books in both circles.

Tuesday was the real deal as it was the initial meeting for our book club, Reading Between the Wines, that an awesome coworker created.  We read Beartown by Fredrik Backman. I loved the book so much that I purchased the sequel (Arrive soon, please!) and began reading another Backman novel, A Man Called Ove, as soon as I could get my hands on it. Seriously, read all his books!

This year, like returning to work after maternity leave last year, has been an emotional struggle.  I spent a lot of time in my classroom, and while I value so very much the ability to provide for my child the way I was able to, I existed in isolation. Likewise, my work bestie moved this year, and I miss her more than I could even have imagined.  I so needed Reading Between the Wines!

I have a great group of co-workers, and book club was a fun way to connect with them! I was able to safely be the over-prepared book nerd, and we all got to talk about topics we found relevant and compelling. We also learned about literary crushes and a stack of books we should add to our collections.  We had a great conversation, enjoyed snacks and wine, and now have plans for our next two meetings.

Bring on sunshine, summer drinks, and more book club!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone