Becoming...One of My Best Nights!!

December 2018 was the month of Mrs. Obama in our household. Both Brian and I purchased a copy of Becoming for my birthday (It really is best if you don't buy yourself presents until after your birthday).  It was the first book I grabbed from the pile of books set aside for 2019.  Then, for Christmas, I received tickets for the Becoming Book Tour.  I was shocked and so, so very excited. 

Last Thursday, after months of anxious anticipation, I spent the evening with Michelle Obama (oh, and BR, who was my date). It was everything I hoped it would be - well, except for the part where my forever FLOTUS and I met and instantly became friends...that was only in my wildest dreams.


The evening began with a slideshow of images and soundbites from the most important people in Mrs. O.'s life, her family.  This was followed by a chill-inducing introduction by the moderator, Conan O'Brien.  Throughout the night, we laughed, reflected on our own lives, and we were reminded of the commonalities that bind us all; in short, we were inspired in a way that only Michelle Obama can inspire.  Parenthood, education, purpose, and politics - taking the "we go high" road as always - were some of the evening's topics.  So too were partnership, carving out personal time, multitasking, and HGTV.  Basically, we talked about all the good things in life that matter.

Of the many ideas Michelle Obama shared throughout the evening, one statement really and truly stuck with me.  She said, "You've gotta feel good about your own story before you feel good about sharing it with someone else." In that, she offered a final bit of inspiration to close out the night, and I left the Miller High Life Theatre thinking of how I, like all of us, am becoming exactly who I am supposed to be, of how I'm writing the story of my life, one I can be proud of and happy to share with others.




Just getting started...



Saying goodbye to MKE - we were all on our feet

Thank you, Mrs. Obama, for the empowering evening!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone