Acadec State 2019

Wednesday morning, bright-eyed and bundled up, I loaded our many provisions - fruit snacks, Capri Suns, Cheetos, Cheez Its, Pringles, and, to balance it all out, Cuties - into a school van and transported the 2018-19 West Academic Decathlon team to their State Competition at the Wilderness Hotel. This was the seventh time I made the journey to Wisconsin Dells, and it was the seventh time my heart broke just a little bit.  You see, I am nearer to the end of my time with this crew than I am to the beginning.  State means the season is winding down, and my time with many of these young people is coming to a close.  

I had no clue what I was walking into when I volunteered to coach the Acadec team the year I joined West's staff.  Now, I have no clue what I would do without this aspect of my professional life.  I am immensely proud of my decathletes for each has taken on a challenge of his or her own, and each has shows his or her ability to lead, shine, and grow in unique ways.  Nine distinctive personalities walk into my room each day and walk out a stronger, more cohesive unit.  This year, they became experts in all things 1960s, which made for especially great times when studying social science, literature, and music, and for a fantastically fun shirt theme (tie dye)!  

While there were definitely disappointments at this year's State event (I believe, wholeheartedly, that more than one of my students wrote and delivered speeches that can only be described as phenomenal and should have been showcased; and don't get me started on the math trophy), I am proud of each of the kids and where we landed as a team.  

Here's to a groovy season, my AcaDarlings.  I adore you all! 



Speech and Interview night


Super Quiz time!

My Brainy Babies and me


Banquet time for my AcaDarlings





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone