Windy City Weekend

I may have used that tile once before, but that post was back when I was traveling with a baby-on-board, and this time it was just BR and AR livin' like to wild kids who stayed up well past their bedtime.


After Saturday morning yoga, a lovely and much anticipated solitary hour I carve out each week, and a trip to the climbing gym, something Brian and I have seldom done as a duo in the past 16 mo. we've been a trio, we boarded the train and made our way to the city that sits on the much lovelier part of Lake Michigan, Chicago.

We made the chilly on-foot commute from the train station to our hotel, relaxed, and enjoyed a tasty dinner (and a bit too much wine), and then headed to The Chicago Theatre to see our favorites, Tedeschi Trucks Band. While it was no front-row experience like the last show, it also meant fewer angry patrons fighting over whether standing is acceptable, dancing like they're midway through a two day bender, getting horribly high, snapping camera photos and videos, or re-feathering their already impressively large bangs. If I've said it once, I've said it a dozen times: the TTB crowd is an eclectic mix.  It was an awesome show and totally worth the tiered feet I got from standing and dancing for multiple hours (That  makes me sound really old, right?).

Sunday was relaxing in the best kind of way.  We didn't set alarms; we enjoyed warm beverages without having to reheat them (chasing after a toddling tiny human means my chai usually needs two - or three - visits to the microwave); we ambled about the city; we read books with actual plots (nothing against "Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb" or "I Love you Through and Through").


They say you don't know until you know, and with parenting, that's been the real, honest truth.  You don't know the level of exhaustion raising a tiny person creates; you don't know how much you'll rely on so many people to help you feel functional and even remotely successful; you don't know how much you can miss a person, even if only apart for 24 hours.

Our brief jaunt to the Windy City was perfectly time - just after exam time and before a big work conference...and just long enough (or short enough) that I could part with my favorite tiny human in order to spend some alone time with my favorite grown up human.







attempting to thaw out on the train


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone