And Then She Was One

You think you know yourself and what matters to you.  You think you've made sense of the world.  And then you become a parent, as I did one year ago today, and  you know, you truly know, what life is all about.

I have learned just how much and how deeply a person can love.  I have learned how, in the same instant, a person can feel immense joy and pain, devotion and trepidation.  Every moment - be it the first time she wraps her five tiny fingers around one of yours or the fifth week of sleepless nights - is precious. And raw. Being a parent is terrifying and deeply rewarding.

I sometimes watch HQ sleeping and find myself wiping away tears.  How did I live before I knew this little person?  Her entrance into our lives makes for an entertaining story (one I'll happily share if you're up for a giggle or two); her presence in our lives makes them complete.  She's given us purpose and perspective, and so, so much happiness.

So, today (and tomorrow..and all the days...) I will unapologetically celebrate my tiny human and love her fiercely and completely for she has made my life infinitely better.



9-7-17
.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone