The Zone

Some two years ago, my amazing cousin and run buddy, Jenna, invited me to join her for a weight lifting class at a gym she attended.  I was instantly hooked.  Jenna and I spent a lot of time at the gym together, and I count that time among some of my favorite with her - honestly, though, any time with Jenna is great: she kind and loving, funny, and has the best and most contagious laugh! 

Aside from growing the bond I have with my cousin, the gym has also become a second home for me. Brian jokes that I spend more time at the gym than anywhere else, and it's probably true (I set an alarm Saturday mornings so as not to miss a gym session after all). Much like with the climbing gym, I've met some amazing people who have become an irreplaceable part of my tribe: we laugh just as hard as we lift (and I work out with some really strong women!); we confide in one another; we find ourselves encouraging the dancing antics of total strangers (Juice, Juice, Juice!). 

And while a few great men share space and workouts with us, one of the truly special parts of the gym is the way it brings us women together. Working out along side and being coached by women is extremely empowering. We all have grown our muscles and our voices while at The Zone. The women I work out with are wonderful friends and role models - as women, wives, mamas. They've helped me navigate and celebrate some of the biggest moments in my life and are among the people I miss most when I'm traveling. Their kindness is matched only by their toughness. How lucky I am to have found them! 



I measure the success of my weeks by the number of workout days I'll have at The Zone (and the number of days I survive life with 150+ teenagers) because, with company like that, where else would a woman want to be?! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone