A Comedy of Errors

Yes, a real comedy of a day...and it's barely 8:30am.

It all began when I remembered that I'm in for a long day; it's faculty meeting day, so after my hours-long day in my cinderblock, windowless room, I am in for at least another 60 minutes of getting things done -- and because I'm a worrier, I worry about everything new or challenging that comes up at meetings, and I want to solve those problems NOW.

The only remedy for this type of day was to stop for coffee and snacks, some goodies I could share with my friends during our meeting.  I arrived at work feeling less stressed - and excited for afternoon snack time - and promptly dropped my coffee.  It sprayed everywhere, and I mean everywhere.  Luckily, I had shut my car door - light interior and coffee do not mix.  But the parking lot looks like something straight out of Criminal Minds.  Blood spatter...err coffee spatter....everywhere. A giant pool of it in the parking lot (that will surely freeze and cause someone to slip and fall -- sorry, colleagues).  A Picasso-esque spray of it on the side of my car.  Coffee dripping off the bottom of my coat.  Coffee on my mittens.  Coffee on my shoes.


I tried to brave the incident and tell myself I could go without, but truly, the only thing I could actually do was to head to the local coffee shop for a refill.  I took a friend's order, hopped into my car, and thought, "I should really rinse the coffee off my car when I stop for new drinks."  That was dumb.  I wish I hadn't thought that.

Mere moments later, after rinsing off my car and determining that I had turned this day around with a single car wash and a plan for new drinks, I found I was stuck in the car wash.  Yes, stuck in the car wash. Trapped.  Marooned.  Stranded.  Shipwrecked.  And, I had left my phone at work to charge.  As panic set in, I surveyed my surroundings, hoping I wouldn't have to take what seemed to be my only immediate option - plowing my car through the carwash door.  I saw an exit and walked calmly through it and into the gas station, which had to be damn-near half-a-mile from the car wash.  Trying not to rage/panic cry, I sought assistance and then waited for 20 minutes as the employee tried to free my car from its prison.  I didn't have my phone to call for a new ride; I didn't have my watch on.  Certain I was well beyond late to work at this time, I knew I would surely lose my job.  I was sure I'd never get that coffee refill.  I almost swore off washing my car all together - and if you know me, you know how much I value cleanliness.  Finally, the employee opened the entrance door through some magical code shared with her via the person on the other end of her phone line, and I backed my way out of that carwash and into freedom.

I'd love to think this was the end of the horrors of this Thursday, but there's a lot of daytime left and a lot of teenagers to interact with, so we shall see what befalls me next....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone