The Color Run and Other Fun

Our holiday weekend - a long weekend, yay - was full of lots of fun.  While I only have picture of one of the many exciting events that filled our three work-free day, everything we were able to pack into this past weekend was a great time and a great way to kick off summer!

Friday, Brian joined me at the gym to give my Acadec kids a tour de Adventure Rock.  We missed our annual outing last year but reinstated the end-of-season rock climbing trip this season.  It was a blast to see the kids try out climbing.  There certainly was a lot of laughter and, by the end of the evening, there were also a lot of sore kiddos.  After climbing, it was time to celebrate my mother-in-law's birthday.  We built up quite the appetite climbing all afternoon, so her choice of Capri was a great one - you never leave there wanting more food!

Saturday, while Brian made laps around Devil's Lake, a crew of seven made its way to Racine for The Color Run.  While my knee continues to haunt even the mere thought of a run, I managed to survive the event and finish the run sans tears.  The prospect of lunch certainly helped stave off the rage tears (maybe, just maybe, one day soon I'll be back to running like I used to and free of pain).  The past two years, Brian and I have participated in the Bolder Boulder 10K in Boulder, CO on Memorial Day weekend, and I was sad to miss out this year, but time with my Run Buddy and with family was a nice trade off, I'd say!  After de-coloring ourselves as much as possible, we stopped for lunch - chips and salsa, oh my.  While I love running for many reasons, one certainly is how much closer it has brought me to family.  I loved having another chance to run with my Run Buddy, Jenna, and also loved spending time with Mom and Auntie Lynn. It's all too easy to get caught up in the comings and goings of life, but this run was a great way to take a break and to enjoy something very simply with some very important people in my life.

Run Buddies

Moms and their daughters

Mom and me


On Sunday, quite a few of the Runnells cousins gathered at the Humboldt Park Beer Garden for a long overdue get-together.  While not all of us are beer drinkers or could be drinking that day (yay, babies!), it was loads of fun to catch up and the beer garden was the perfect place for it.  The weather was great and we had plenty of picnic table space to house everyone.



On Monday, after a trip to my gym for a Memorial Day morning workout and then to Adventure Rock, we went to our pals' house for a gym crew barbecue.  Chris and Dawn are excellent hosts, Chris is an amazing cook, and our friends are tons of fun, so the afternoon was perfect. More time outside in the sunshine was also much appreciated.  While there may only be seven days of school left, I'll be spending them inside of a classroom with no windows.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone