May: Off to a Great Start

This has been a weekend I've been anticipating for months.  Some time ago, my wonderful cousin Jenna asked me to save the date for Friday, May 8th.  She had a surprise for me.  Both of us happen to enjoy "Parks and Recreation" and the surprise she had for me was tickets to see Nick Offerman and Megan Mullally at the Riverside Theatre in Milwaukee.  Leading up to the big day, we often joked about how we'd have to put on our big girl pants to make it to and through the show, which was scheduled for 10:30pm. But once our date day arrived, we were set.

We started our night with drinks and a fantastic dinner at Cooper's Hawk, a restaurant with an extensive wine list (and a wine club - how are we not members?!).  We had lots of time to sit, sip our wine, and chat.  Any time I spend with Jenna is a good time.  Be it a chat before Body Pump or some nervous conversation at the starting line of a race, we have a wonderful time together; we have since we were little when it was sleepovers, swimming, playing dress up, or sharing munchkins on a Sunday morning.  I am eternally grateful that we developed such a bond and have continued to watch it grow over the years.  It's a great gift to me.

After our dinner date, we made our way downtown for the show, which was certainly the most hilarious thing I'd experienced in a long while. My stomach was sore by the time the show ended (after midnight -- and we were both awake, though we both admitted to being plenty ready for our beds).  I'm so thankful for this treat Jenna gave me.  It was loads of fun and another special memory for her and me to share.
the run buddies as laugh buddies 
Saturday was spent fighting my desire to sleep -- keeping moving at Body Pump and taking on a training run helped that...until it didn't.  I rallied, however, and spend a nice evening with Brian and my in-laws.

And Sunday was all about Mom! As has become a bit of a tradition, we spent the day at the Zoo.  While the weather wasn't very cooperative, as is evident by my wild hair and rain coat in the picture below, the company was top notch.  It was nice to spend time with both my mom and my grandma (and my dad and Brian).  And it was also nice to see a few small animals for which I have always had a soft spot in my heart.

After the zoo, we headed back to the suburbs and sat down for dinner together, which allowed us plenty of time to catch up on all the happenings in our lives.  Much like earlier this week when I sat with quite a few family members at my cousins' softball game, I was reminded how lucky I am to have a family that lives close to one another and truly enjoys the time they spend together.  I know not everyone's family melds quite like mine does, and the fact that I grew up with so many aunties, uncles, and cousins actively involved in my day-to-day life is a gift, one that has carried over into my adult life, something else I am grateful for.

Mother's Day with two wonderful moms


This weekend, in so many ways, was a reminder of how lucky I am to love and be loved by these wonderful people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone