My 2015 Knowledge Nuggets

Last Wednesday, I packed up the school van with lots of snacks, suits, and nine decathletes and  took my little brainy babies to the Dells for the annual Wisconsin State Academic Decathlon Competition.  Our first day in the Dells was entirely a prep day with lots of studying and lots of me checking in on all of them.  At least once, while in the car, I panicked, thinking I left someone behind (which I didn't, he was right behind my seat...in my blind spot?!) 

We took the kiddos out to dinner Wednesday evening and to breakfast Thursday morning before the competition began.  I couldn't help but wonder how that lady with 19 children does it.  I could barely handle nine (and they're all largely self-sufficient).  Two days of competing, of using one's brain, of pulling out all that has been crammed in over the past seven months of studying, is no joke; despite plenty of ups and downs, the kids remained rather composed and did impressively well.  We went into the competition more than 3,000 points behind our biggest competition, the team that defeated us last year.  Our goal was a realistic one, cut that deficit in half, at least, and we were able to achieve that and more.  While we did place second overall, we were only 900 points behind the first place team; and we took first in our Division I bracket.  

For all the headaches, the lost sleep, the many extra hours at school, the not-so-gentle encouraging, this time of year always reminds me why I do what I do.  To see the kids come together, to see bonds forged that would otherwise not exist, to see the darlings all dressed up, to get the hugs and thank you's, the laughs and smile as we gather as a team to compete and to celebrate...I wouldn't have it any other way.  


My little brainy babies, my knowledge nuggets, are such a big part of my life, and I adore them.  Great work, team! 



ready for speeches and interviews

Super Quiz 

post - banquet group shot - aren't they lovely?! 


my seniors and me 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone