Moving On

Life, it turns out, isn't short on lessons. One I was reminded of as of late was that you're not alone in anything.

While I desperately wanted to help Grandma and Grandpa R. make the move to their new place this past weekend, especially as I was the sole representative of the Brian Runnells clan and clearly the stronger one of us, I have been feeling a bit under the weather.  The thought of taking on the snowy roads with my newly-cleaned car, hopping about moving boxes, and finding myself with another killer headache made me a bit anxious; add to that the hellish week I had, and I wasn't sure I'd be a functional human being fit to be around people.  I decided to suck it up, hit the gym to gather my thoughts and head to the moving zone.

It's no secret that I'm about as OCD/hyper-organized as they come. I pride myself on my neat, organized, never an item out of place for more than a few moments, home, which makes me 1) difficult to live with (??) and 2) well-equipped to take on an organizational task. I kept the latter in mind as I helped pack everyone's cars with boxes and unloaded trunks and backseats (while gracefully, always gracefully, dodging moving carts, cousins, aunts and uncles).  

When I arrived at the new Grandparents Runnells abode, I was pleased to see I wasn't the only gal in town.  Ruth, another Runnells inductee, was there with her husband Justin.  She and I were like kindred double-last-name, love-to-organize spirits.  Looking back, I'm pretty sure we were mistaken for Olympic athletes as we made the trek from the apartment to the elevator, loaded carts and returned to the apartment to unload them. We had tables, mirrors, drawers, boxes and bins above our heads, on both our sides and piled up on the carts we drove about the halls as if we were Formula 1 drivers. I wanted to be sure to pull my weight, and aside from the brief moment where I reenacted the "I'm the king of the world" Titanic scene, we were all business all day.  I even got to put my bed-making skills to use, something my husband loves to make fun of me for.



When all was said and done, I do believe I managed to pass for 'functional' and I'm happy to have helped...and bonded with my awesomely wonderful family.  I might not be the most physically imposing of all people, but I sure do have a definitive mind.  I love to talk about real-world issues and think about changing the world, one little bit at a time.  Sometimes this makes me feel like I'm on an island, especially as I am often around others who aren't necessarily seeing the world through the same lens as me.  It was refreshing and awesomely engaging to spend the time unloading boxes sharing my thoughts and experiences with someone who shares a lot of the same sentiments.  Having a numbers guy husband (who lives far, far away right now) and being the 'liberal' one of the bunch is fine by me, but I'll take having a partner in crime any day, so thanks, Ruth!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone