Giving Thanks

This past weekend was a weekend that, from start to finish, reminded me of how much I have to be thankful for.

Wednesday, the giving of thanks began when I got to sleep in (no school) and visit with some of my former kiddos at Decathlon practice.  After our afternoon practice, which involved a heated game of sockie, soccer in socks in the school hallways, I was off to Mom and Dad's where I got to visit for a few hours and have dinner with my parents; this was especially nice since I wouldn't be seeing them on Thanksgiving.  From there, I was off to the airport to retrieve Brian, who was home for five days in total.

Thursday morning I enjoyed a chilly run and then got to visit with the parents Runnells before heading to Grandma and Grandpa Runnells house for Thanksgiving Day.  The food and the company were great, and by the time we headed home, I happily realized I had my fill of laughter and green bean casserole that day.


On Friday, Brian and I decided to take care of some work from my classroom (he had to work remotely and I was there for Decathlon practice in the morning).  After work, we grabbed a late lunch and spent a few hours at the climbing gym.  When our muscles were good and tired, we treated ourselves to a Mexican feast at Jose's Blue Sombrero, a favorite of ours.  We relaxed for the rest of the evening and began to plan the logistics of holiday shopping and the next day's party.

After a run to Target (literally, I ran to Target and Brian met me there), Brian and I got the house set and were joined by the Runnells cousins in the afternoon for the Cousins Party, which we were hosting. Together, we came up with quite the spread, which included three kinds of soup, snacks, desserts and plenty of beer and wine.  After feasting, it was time to do some bonding, which happened courtesy of a few games, one of which was Cards Against Humanity.  As Curt aptly said, "We won't be able to look at each other the same again!"  Despite the horrible outcome of the Badger game, my Saturday was pretty awesome.
game time

On Sunday, we were up early for a trip to the gym before heading to the theatre to see Hunger Games: Catching Fire, which I really enjoyed.  Considering how much I hate what happened to another book I enjoyed, The Hobbit, I was a bit reluctant to even see the newest installment in the HG series, but it was worth it, and I think Brian enjoyed it too -- Jennifer Lawrence certainly helped with that.  After the movie, we had birthday dinner with my parents, Brian's parents and sister Becky.  We all saved room for dessert, even, and enjoyed a personal favorite of mine, fro yo.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone