The Coolest Bunch of Nerds Around

As some of you may now, I agreed to be one of the Academic Decathlon coaches at my new school, Waukesha West.  I'll be honest, I was entirely unprepared for what I was getting into, and perhaps that was by design.  To put in writing (or to share verbally) all that would be required of me would surely have sent me running in the other direction, even if I felt I owed my co-coach, Vince, big time for showing me the ropes of two of the three new courses I taught this year. Aside from an initial intro to the group and the "bunch of nerds" mantra I heard over and over again, I was heading into this endeavor relatively blindly.

2012 West Decathlon Team 

Over time, thanks to their quirky personalities, dedication to the team and good nature, I've come to adore my kiddos in a way that is inexplicable unless you are, in fact, a teacher or coach.  I choose to spend countless hours with each of them after school on team nights, I work with them on interviews, run copies of all sorts of study guides and practice tests, schedule events, create itineraries... and as I found out one stormy night, wake up with their speeches running through my head.  Yep, it is true.  My Acadec kiddos have made their way from my day-to-day life into my subconscience, and to steal a line from one of their speeches, "I wouldn't have it any other way."



And as they head off to the State competition later this week in the Dells, I wish them the best of luck.  They've put so much of themselves into what they do, and I've been bettered as a person and a teacher by working with them.  I hope only for the best for each of our nine players .


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone