State

Just over a week and a half ago, Wisconsin held its Sate Academic Decathlon Competition at the Wilderness Resort in Wisconsin Dells.  The Waukesha West Team earned a trip to State when they placed second at Regionals.   Everyone was hyped up and ready for the big days to finally arrive.

Wednesday after school, Vince and I packed the kids and the goods into the giant school vans and headed west.  By the time we made the trek back east on Friday night, we were exhausted, both physically and emotionally.  I can only imagine what the kiddos were thinking and feeling.  After two days of testing and giving speeches and interviews, they were wiped out.  Likewise, they were reeling a bit from the disappointment of placing second overall.  Of course, like any team, they wanted to place first, and they certainly wanted to keep the streak alive - West has won State the past 11 years - but they still have a chance to make a name for themselves, so to speak, as they were invited to attend the National Competition, a privilege they certainly earned.


We shift our focus now to that next competition and ending the season, and for seven of our nine competitors their Acadec careers, on a high note.  I have all the confidence in all my kiddos.  And I have so much coach/teacher love in my heart for them.  So many times over the course of the weekend, I caught myself looking at my kids like I assume a mom does her children.  I felt a mix of nervousness, and pride -- and I cherish the memories made that weekend.

I certainly miss coaching the Youth Climbing Team at our local gym, so working with the Acadec kiddos has helped and been a gift.  I adore our team. They have truly captured my heart!


Good work, guys.  You made Mama Runnells proud!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone