The Simple Things

This past weekend was proof that it truly is the simple things in life that mean the most.  Though nothing extravagant happened, it was the perfect few days and I cannot wait for next weekend, which I hope will bring more of the same.

Friday, my friend Amanda and I drove to work together and then stopped at Target on the way home.  I'm always up for a good trip to Target, so that was lots of fun.  We got to chat and I took care of some shopping.  Later that evening,  I joined Amanda and Justin for dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant, El Beso.  Dinner and the conversation was great, and the margs were fantastic.

Saturday was a very casual day.  Brian and I took a trip to the gym and then came home to get ready for the rest of our day, which would include a dinner date with Mom Sue, Papa Bill and Sister Becky and a trip to Greendale High School to see the Greendale Community Theatre's production of Avenue Q.  We went to Barbiere's for dinner; I had never been there before, and it was pretty tasty.  Brian and I really liked all of the pictures from Italy - the Rialto Bridge, Venice, Florence, Pisa, etc. - and it made me want to be back in Italy quite badly!  After dinner, the family came back to our house for a brief visit before heading to the school for the play.  We were joined by Aunt Karen, Uncle Bill, Uncle Mike, Auntie Pat and Cory and Jessie.  After the play, which was really funny and extremely well-done, most of the group (sans Karen, Bill and Becky) went to the local hangout, Ray and Dots.  It was really fun.  We talked and laughed quite a bit. The dulcimer was a favorite topic of conversation, and Jessie and I attempted to volunteer more than a few cousins to be the next in the family to take up the instrument.  Around 12, we called it a night and headed home...I was excited to be able to sleep in as late as I wanted for another day.

Sunday, I was up around 8, which isn't quite up to my old standard of sleeping in, but I sure enjoyed not setting an alarm and not rushing around.  Brian and I opted to forego our standart trip to the gym and enjoy the unseasonably warm weather.  After breakfast, some around-the-house projects and a stop at Starbucks, Brian and I went to Bong Recreational Park and went for a 4-mile hike through the park.  It was more like a spring day than a summer day on our hike, and the ground was very squishy and my Uggs were a bit worse for the wear by the time it was all said and done, but I surely enjoyed it and all the scenery.

a friend I made using a trick straight from Grandma Unti's playbook - "Here sweetie.  Come here...."

Gearing up for the hike 

the lake

Is it really January?

a perfect spot to sit and contemplate life

me and the hubbers - we're quite the duo
Is it the weekend yet?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone