Should've Been A Cowboy


Well, I had intended to discuss my pre-operative bloodletting experience, but thanks to my forgetfulness, I now have other plans. While driving home from my doctor, and without my iPod to entertain me, I had to shuffle through radio stations to find some enjoyable tunes. Imagine my excitement when I heard Grandpa’s song. For those of us in the Navarrete family, there is a song, “Should’ve Been A Cowboy”, that has special meaning for us. It’s a song that reminds us of the cowboy spirit that lived inside of our grandpa/daddy/husband. Though he is no longer with us (he lost his battle with cancer in 1996), this song is one way for us to keep close to him.
I consider it one of the many blessings in my life that I lived at my grandparents’ house for some time while I was little; in fact, my entire family lived there while our house was being built. During that time, i developed a relationship with both of my grandparents that most kids are not privileged to. I have such fond memories of the time I spent with them, including watching “Jeopardy” with him (though I hated the show), helping him make fried potatoes (until he would strategically find a chore for me while he added the onions – I hate onions and he knew it), and learning how to cheat at Uno.
It’s funny how simple things in life can turn out to be so meaningful - a silly game, a TV show, a song on the radio. When it comes down to it, those little things only have meaning because of the people they are shared with.
Miss ya’, Grandpa! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone