December 2nd

As my good friend Taylor Swift says, “I don’t know about you, but I’m feeling 22.” She says a lot of profound things...

...but here is something that actually IS true: with age comes wisdom, and as 22 is indeed well back there in the rear view mirror, I feel wiser and more grateful than ever as I wrap up another year and another birthday celebration. 

When I actually turned 22 I was staring down graduation, plans for a second degree at a new university, and married life (people were going to start calling me Mrs.?!). I was facing many realities, not the least of which was that I would be living on my own (well, with my partner) and not in Africa, where I had grand visions of building schools in countries in need and volunteering at animal sanctuaries on weekends. Even still, at 22, birthday planning meant deciding if we should go to Wando’s before or after a stop at the KK. It meant deciding if leaving my coat at home - who wants bar smells and stuff on your attire?’ -  was worth the possible frostbite one might incur while crossing campus in December. 


My how my birthdays are different now, and thanks to the many reminders a well-timed unit on age and identity -- and life and getting older -- have provided, I’d say they’re better, too. 

This year, my birthday weekend - yep, a whole weekend of fun - was filled with the many things that no-longer-22-or-even-close-to-it AJ loves: guacamole, yoga, climbing, Moscow mules and cornbread, morning snuggles with my tiny human (who impressed us with new tricks and skills), traditions (We found a great Christmas tree to cut down, so take that, rain!), family dinner (with a surprise guest, my uncle Paul), ice cream cake, and time at my parents’ (‘Home’ in my contact list and my heart). 


It’s easy to look at the number of candles on your cake (if they all even fit)  and feel like there is more behind you than ahead; that, my friends, is not how this girl celebrates! My life is a collection of precious moment and people, and I wouldn’t be here or who I am without them. Going back to 22, or even 32, means I erase all the grand moments that make my heart full today, so I’ll gladly look ahead to this next lap around the sun as another chance to build better, deeper connections; to laugh more and love deeper.  And I’m so glad I have all of you along for this ride!



Sporting my new coat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone