We All Need A Hero

They come in many shapes and forms, and as children, especially, we lean on them to inspire us, to shake the dust off.  Many of them wear costumes or capes; some are part of an athletic acronym, the NFL, NBA, the MLB.  You catch my drift - we all need our heroes.  I wasn't much for TV, and I like sports as much as the next person, but I wasn't emulating any WWE (I think it was the WWF back in my day?!) personality in my youth.

Of the many people who have helped me become the person I am today, the person who tops my heroes list is most certainly my dad.  And just this week, my dad exemplified why he's my hero once more; he was named Deputy Chief of the Mukwonago Fire Department after nearly 27 years of service. 



My dad's passion for helping others, his drive to do his best and be his best,  is what I channel as I walk into my classroom each day.  When I enrolled in graduate school and had to balanced that work with my professional responsibilities, I developed a new and deeper appreciation for what my dad managed as he began his journey as a volunteer firefighter and EMT.  He sacrificed his time, his energy, his sleep to ensure others were safe and cared for. And over the years, he continued to build his skills and grow his knowledge as he acquired additional certifications and became an instructor.  Quite simply, he never stops giving.

For the past 26 years, he has been the helping hand and the caring face that greets people in their darkest moments.  There are lives that are better and people that are here because of my dad.  No cape necessary - that is heroism!


Congratulations, Dad.  You have given me yet another reason to be proud to be your child, another example of who I want to be as I continue growing up.  All my love to you, Deputy Chief Unti, all my love and admiration!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

My Dad, OUR Hero

Milestone