BR's First Father's Day

Last weekend was a big one in the Runnells household; not only was it BR's first Father's Day, but it was also his first big bike race, a 100k ride.

Brian and our good friend Scott tackled 60+ miles of riding in 90+ degree heat Saturday.  Nothing about that seemed easy - or fun if I'm being honest - but BR survived the Horribly Hilly Hundreds, and HQ and I were happy to be there to offer support along the way (I provided water and snacks, Harper provided smiles and giggles that I'm sure encouraged her father to fight the fatigue and cross the finish line).  To say I am proud of Brian would be an understatement.  

After a little time to recuperate and a little more time to pack up the team car and the tiny human, who was a real trooper in the heat and with many trips in and out of her carseat to make it to meeting points for our riders, it was time to head home for celebratory guacamole and tacos.  




Stop 1

Stop 2

climbing that final hill 

The fun of Father's Day Weekend continued Sunday with a little more riding about - this time on four wheels (and near two wheels and wings).  HQ made her first visit to the Palmayra Airport, where I am sure she will get to do some flying with her Grandpa Bill in the future - maybe next Father's Day.  She also got to test out the co-pilot's seat in one of the planes; she wasn't all too happy with that, but she did look mighty professional in her headset.  



The Runnells men 

Four generations


Later in the day, HQ got to test out the new pool her Nonno set up for her.  I imagine she will be joining him - and her daddy - for many swims this summer.  By Sunday evening, everyone in our household was ready for some rest.  And as I laid our little lady down to sleep, I was especially grateful for the people in her life we were sure to celebrate this weekend.  Brian and I are blessed with amazing fathers who are kind, humorous, honorable men.  And Harper and I are blessed to share our home and our day-to-day lives with BR.   

One of BR's most notable qualities is his ability to throw himself, fully and without hesitation, into an endeavor.  And though it has meant many fast hikes and many attempts to chase him up a 14er, his dedication to his child has been the most amazing thing to witness.  His love for our tiny human has made me even happier to call him my partner.  

And though I will fight always to be HQ's favorite, I know that the love she has for BR is immeasurable, and I know their bond will be one of the greatest relationships she ever has (I know -I've lived it with my dad!).  She already looks at Brian with such adoring eyes - he'll teach her so many wonderful things, and I know I'll be sending them off on plenty of adventures together. 

I hope his first bike race with his littlest and best fan was the first of many grand ones!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Runs Several Ks...and Writes About It

Stylin' in My New Ride!

My Dad, OUR Hero